Wednesday, July 15, 2009

July 15











I woke up today and made everyone pancakes again. Then Ann, Alex(3), Max(6), and I took a bus and went to this little kid magic show. After that, I took a bus by myself to Queensgate, the mall. No big deal. The exchange rate is about us$.63 to nz$1, so everything looked so much more expensive than it really was. Every girl here (and I mean like every girl from age 5 to 35) wears skinny jeans and boots and really cute tops with belts and hats, and all the outfits look like they were professionally put together. I feel like a sloppy American. Now I'm thankful for the school uniform. The boys also wear skinny jeans and some of them are really well dressed also. They all have their hair spiked up, not straight up, like spiked all over the place.




Anyways, later on that night the boys' parents came over for dinner. For dessert, they brought 2 different kinds of ice cream. One was Gummy gummy gum drops and it was lime ice cream with lollies in it (lollies are chewy candy) and Hokey Pokey. Apparently New Zealand is known for hokey pokey ice cream. It was vanilla but it had caramel and something crunchy in it, it was soooo good though.




After the family left, Ann and I went over to the next door neighbors house so I could meet the 5 daughters. The 13 year old and her friend were so amazed that I was from the US. They couldn't believe that I live on a lake and that it freezes and we can drive on it! They also asked if I've met any celebrities. I've been asked that question alot just because I live in America. We sat there for over an hour talking. They wanted to know if my school looked like the one in High School Musical, with long corridors and lockers on either side, and if I've been to times square. I ended up going to bed at 9:30, which is the latest since I've arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment